New Hampshire's 52 With A View - A Hiker's Guide (2nd Edition)
The first comprehensive guidebook for the New Hampshire 52 With A View hiking list, now newly revised and updated
The first printing has sold out, thank you for the generous support! A second printing is in the works now. Any orders placed through this website after August 2, 2020 should ship during the week of August 10.
Books ordered directly through this website are signed and personalized with the buyer's name (if you have specific personalization requests — a gift for example — please send an email to
with the details). All books are wrapped to protect the corners and are shipped individually.
When clicking the "Buy now" button above, you'll be redirected away from this website to Paypal. A PayPal account is not required for purchase. Quantities for multiple books can be specified on the order page. Price is $19.95 plus $3.00 shipping via USPS for each individual book. Facebook users, the link above will NOT work with Facebook's internal web browser. The link must be opened in an external web browser directly. This is an issue with Facebook, not PayPal.
Buy the book elsewhere online
Buy the book in a bookstore
New in the second edition
- Reflects the current 52WAV list, which was officially revised in May 2020
- Revised and expanded trail descriptions for each peak
- Over 50 photographs depicting scenes from each peak
- Expanded alternate routes with more detailed trailhead locations
- Expanded and updated information for hiking each peak in winter
- Updated peak elevations per the latest LIDAR data
- Overview map of where each peak is located within NH
Inside you will also find:
- Historical overview of the Over The Hill Hikers and how the 52 With A View hiking list came to be.
- Detailed recommended route descriptions for all 52 peaks (plus the delisted peaks), including historical tidbits, parking & road access and summaries of additional routes.
- Information on overnight options for campers and backpackers.
- Tips for hiking each peak in winter.
- Highlights of the views from each peak, as that is what this list is all about!
In 1979, a group of retirees living in Sandwich, NH got together and began hiking. Starting small and local, they would eventually become known as the Over The Hill Hikers. After completing the New Hampshire 4,000 Footers, the group decided to create a new list in 1990 to complement the higher peaks — a selection of 52 peaks under 4,000 ft. which offered spectacular views. This book aims to be the first comprehensive resource for hiking the 52WAV.
Compiled and edited by New Hampshire hiker Ken MacGray, this guide is tailored toward both experienced hikers as well as beginners — young and old — for which this list attracts many.
Ken MacGray is a freelance writer and hiker living in southern New Hampshire after another life in the media industry. He has always been a hiker but didn't find his true passion for it until later in life and has completed the NH 4,000 Footers and finished almost three rounds of the 52WAV, among other hiking accomplishments.
He is also co-editor of AMC's Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide starting with the 5th Edition in 2020 and is most at home in the mountains and forests. He is a big advocate for the peaks on this list and their appeal to both beginner and experienced hikers alike.
Follow the book on Facebook
Join the NH 52 With A View Facebook group
52 With A View checklist
Download the 52 With A View checklist
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the Over The Hill Hikers, creators of the 52WAV list, I'm just a fan and advocate of the peaks they have chosen. For more information on the organization, visit their website